One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Available for one to use whenever or however one wishes.‘a helicopter was put at their disposal’
for use by, in reserve for, in the hands of, in the possession of, within the reach of, within easy reach of, at someone's fingertipsView synonyms
- ‘I think we have seen what I have at my disposal for next season.’
- ‘Life saving oxygen equipment is now at the disposal of both Geraldton Secondary College campuses.’
- ‘Clearly, art is a question of what one does with the resources at one's disposal.’
- ‘Dozens of cultivation tools are at the organic producer's disposal, he added, from rotary hoes to new machines that simply vibrate soil to uproot newly sprouted weeds.’
- ‘He really didn't want to discuss the virtues and vices of having a female body at one's disposal with his far more hormone-driven best friend.’
- ‘Ah, the wonders of an endless treasury at one's disposal.’
- ‘The cinematography uses every tool at director Frank Darabont's disposal in order to capture the desired tones.’
- ‘With no other options at their immediate disposal, the students position themselves to resist this challenge.’
- ‘Carlow Golf Club put the course at the disposal of various organisations over the six days as well as notifying all golf clubs in Leinster of the competition.’
- ‘The field used for the parking of cars on that night was kindly put at the disposal of the organising committee by Percy Flynn and the Flynn family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.