Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In detail; fully.‘these aspects have been discussed at length’
thoroughly, fully, in detail, in depth, comprehensively, exhaustively, completely, extensively, to the fullest extentfor a long time, for ages, for hours, on and on, interminably, endlessly, incessantly, ceaselessly, constantly, continually, unendingly, eternally, foreverView synonyms
- ‘This and other similar questions are discussed at length in these essays.’
- ‘One frail elderly man ranted on at length about a catalogue of mistakes on his account, some of which went back to 1939.’
- ‘A spokesman for the council said the details of the plans have been discussed at length.’
- ‘Every staffer and volunteer was asked to discuss at length, and in great detail, all the aspects of their job.’
- ‘Explain in detail and at length what you expect both you and your potential ally to accomplish.’
- ‘His office had been right next to mine, and we had discussed everything at length.’
- ‘He would talk at length about his theories on winning behaviours and Woodward and his team of coaches would then apply them to rugby.’
- ‘Almost every work by Poulenc is at least mentioned, and some are discussed at length.’
- ‘One elderly lady spoke at length about her granddaughter who lived nearby.’
- ‘He spoke at length and in detail to the engineers following his hard-fought seventh place at Sepang.’
2After a long time.‘at length she laid down the pencil’
after a long time, after a considerable time, eventually, in time, in the long run, in the fullness of timeView synonyms
- ‘The news controllers were at length forced to grapple with the issue by their correspondents' remarks.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.