Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
At the first court hearing concerning a case.See also court of first instance
- ‘The Federal Court of Australia at first instance and then on appeal denied judicial review.’
- ‘His application for judicial review was dismissed at first instance on 11 April 2001.’
- ‘That court unanimously dismissed an appeal against a judgment entered by Justice Carr at first instance in that court.’
- ‘Although both the judge at first instance and the Court of Appeal held that the agreement was void, the House of Lords held the contract to be valid and binding.’
- ‘At first instance, the jury returned a verdict in favour of the defendant.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.