One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At the first court hearing concerning a case.See also court of first instance
- ‘Although both the judge at first instance and the Court of Appeal held that the agreement was void, the House of Lords held the contract to be valid and binding.’
- ‘That court unanimously dismissed an appeal against a judgment entered by Justice Carr at first instance in that court.’
- ‘The Federal Court of Australia at first instance and then on appeal denied judicial review.’
- ‘His application for judicial review was dismissed at first instance on 11 April 2001.’
- ‘At first instance, the jury returned a verdict in favour of the defendant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.