One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
2Directly or from personal experience.‘scientists observed the process at first hand’
directly, immediately, personally, at first hand, from the original source, with one's own ears, with one's own eyesView synonyms
- ‘I can recount endless examples that I have experienced at first hand.’
- ‘It is felt that the Mobile Farm is the answer as it allows children to experience farm animals at first hand.’
- ‘Four Laois men will hope to see at first hand what people in Ethiopia experience in their daily struggle to survive.’
- ‘He had experienced this at first hand, from his own brother.’
- ‘They are the ones, after all, with most experience of nature at first hand, and their views deserve to be listened to.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.