One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At a fast pace.‘the hearse was going at a fair lick for that normally sedate vehicle’
speed, rate, pace, tempo, velocity, momentumView synonyms
- ‘Despite his absence the parliament is going up at a lick and looking more awesome by the day.’
- ‘Taken at a lick, the most famous of the plays, The Playboy of the Western World, is a triumph.’
- ‘Soaring sales of secure routers helped the enterprise router market grow at a lick in Q1.’
- ‘It's fine when you're moving at a lick but it's devoid of feel at low speed.’
- ‘Online recruitment revenues are growing at a lick - 43 per cent year on year for the first three quarters of 2003-and are expected to grow to £200m by 2008.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.