One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not more than.‘the walk took four minutes at the most’
- ‘It must have been only a few seconds, a minute at the most, but it felt like an eternity.’
- ‘The time spent on individual study varies throughout the year but is probably two to three hours a week at the most.’
- ‘He was convinced that this sedative would leave the horse's system in a week, or at most a fortnight.’
- ‘I returned to my office about half an hour later for one or two minutes at most to collect some more papers, and left again.’
- ‘He felt as though he had been running for hours when it had only been a mere ten minutes at most.’
- ‘It doesn't happen often - twice a year at most - and usually it passes within an hour or so.’
- ‘Once the system is re-connected it takes about two minutes at most to reach full pressure.’
- ‘She sees her father at most twice a year now, having discovered that the only thing a family shares is its past.’
- ‘Work began on Friday night, but traffic was light yesterday with delays of only a few minutes at most.’
- ‘There are, at most, six bridleways in the Baildon area, all of which require riders to use roads to get to them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.