One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which the heart ceases to beat.
- ‘The patient developed cardiac arrest and asystole.’
- ‘This was no easy arrest to manage, as the heart rhythm alternated between ventricular fibrillation and asystole.’
- ‘A proportion of patients are unsuitable for defibrillation because their initial arrhythmia is asystole or pulseless electrical activity.’
- ‘They administered defibrillatory shocks, and after a period of asystole, the patient's heart returned to sinus rhythm.’
- ‘Some patients have asystole from the onset of arrest and are unsuitable for defibrillation by the ambulance crew or bystanders.’
- ‘She developed asystole, and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was performed for 20 minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.