Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Lack of equality or equivalence between parts or aspects of something; lack of symmetry.‘there was an asymmetry between the right and left ears’‘the global system is marked by great asymmetry: the most important goods are controlled by groups in a relatively small number of countries’[count noun] ‘gravitational asymmetries had pulled the sphere out of shape’
asymmetry, lack of symmetry, non-uniformity, unevenness, crookedness, lopsidedness, contortion, deformity, jaggedness, raggedness, cragginess, indentationView synonyms
- ‘Whether asymmetry threatens the development of a democratic federal system is open to debate.’
- ‘Information asymmetry can be disadvantageous for the party with less information.’
- ‘Why must the price of peace be paid symmetrically, when only asymmetry exists in the causes of war?’
- ‘There's an ever so slight asymmetry of information though.’
- ‘This suggests that the mutation might help explain both asymmetry and schizophrenia.’
- ‘Many problems that occur during fetal development cause asymmetry in the resulting organism.’
- ‘The patient is asked if the stimulus is sharp or dull and if there is any asymmetry between the right and left sides.’
- ‘The asymmetry between the amounts of matter and antimatter in the universe remains unexplained.’
- ‘The lungs were clear and there was no asymmetry in expansion.’
- ‘The fanciful asymmetry of the French rococo style was considered the essence of beauty.’
- ‘Waging war against the terrorists breaks this asymmetry and is the correct response to defeat terror.’
- ‘In pre-empting the terrorist are we really dealing with asymmetry, or is something else at work?’
- ‘To see an obvious example of asymmetry, just look at your hands.’
- ‘And when we choose asymmetry it is usually because we recognise the effect that the absence of symmetry produces.’
- ‘One other thing hits the eye, in addition to this maddening asymmetry.’
- ‘One important source of asymmetry in fighting ability is a difference in body or weapon size.’
- ‘As a result, however, the famous asymmetry of the Pirelli Building would be destroyed.’
- ‘If they don't have a reliable network to use, the information asymmetry is huge.’
- ‘However, there is an incredible information asymmetry in these kinds of proceedings.’
- ‘As a result of the information asymmetry, a beneficial exchange would not occur.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek asummetria, from a- without + summetria (see symmetry).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.