One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of bars of different heights used in women's gymnastics.Also called uneven bars
- ‘The 19-year-old had hoped for a top-three place in the asymmetric bars.’
- ‘The reigning Olympic asymmetric bars champion had suffered mishaps in Atlanta and Sydney and Athens was her final chance to clinch the all-round title.’
- ‘They gleefully hurl themselves at vaults or swing happily from the top of the asymmetric bars with the loosest of grips.’
- ‘The 15-year-old, who has just returned after an injury-riddled three years, made a stunning comeback to the arena when she claimed a silver medal in the asymmetric bars competition.’
- ‘Behind the asymmetric bars sat the gymnasts, a rainbow of tracksuits under a canopy of national flags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.