Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The astrophysical model of how the Sun works has been at odds with observation for the past couple of years.’
- ‘In order to find out what this mysterious energy really is, astronomers need to compare astrophysical observations that are at first sight completely unrelated.’
- ‘The research solves an astrophysical puzzle that has baffled scientists for over 120 years since the spicules were first discovered.’
- ‘Although few astronomers agree on the exact mechanism that caused the outburst, many seem inclined to accept the possibility that a new class of astrophysical phenomenon has been discovered.’
- ‘Realizing they had taken the same approach to solve different problems, the two teams of authors joined forces to apply it to more complicated astrophysical scenarios.’
- ‘The study of these energetic particles will broaden our understanding of the formation and evolution of the solar system, as well as of the astrophysical processes involved.’
- ‘Pulsars and quasars may turn out to be commonplace in comparison to the exotic astrophysical events that gravity wave astronomy reveals.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.