Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The measurement of the positions, motions, and magnitudes of stars.
- ‘In this way, astronomers will perform very precise astrometry to detect the reflex motion of stars due to orbiting planets.’
- ‘One technique, known as astrometry, involves precisely measuring the position of a star.’
- ‘This method, known as astrometry, is the oldest planet-hunting method, but no planets have yet been found based on it alone.’
- ‘And while methods such as photometry and astrometry, which hold great promise in the long term, are still being perfected, other innovative approaches are already yielding results.’
- ‘The main branches are astrometry, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.