Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The measurement of the positions, motions, and magnitudes of stars.
- ‘One technique, known as astrometry, involves precisely measuring the position of a star.’
- ‘In this way, astronomers will perform very precise astrometry to detect the reflex motion of stars due to orbiting planets.’
- ‘The main branches are astrometry, celestial mechanics, and astrophysics.’
- ‘And while methods such as photometry and astrometry, which hold great promise in the long term, are still being perfected, other innovative approaches are already yielding results.’
- ‘This method, known as astrometry, is the oldest planet-hunting method, but no planets have yet been found based on it alone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.