One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A binary star system in which one companion is invisible, but is known to be present from its effect on measurements relating to the other.
- ‘Thus Sirius was originally an astrometric binary, but is now a visual binary.’
- ‘About a hundred astrometric binary candidates have been discovered by Hipparcos.’
- ‘During the period 1950 to 1970, a number of stars, most notably Barnard's star, were claimed to be astrometric binaries with substellar companions.’
- ‘As technology has improved over time, a number of binaries originally identified as astrometric binaries have been upgraded to visual binary because of the sighting of the secondary in the system.’
- ‘In astrometric binaries we see one star's position wobble periodically in response to the gravity of its unseen companion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.