Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The main objective of the astrometric instrument (ASTRO) is to obtain accurate measurements of the relative positions of all objects that cross the fields of view of Gaia's two telescopes.’
- ‘To date there have been no successful detections of extrasolar planets with the astrometric method.’
- ‘It was designed to produce extremely accurate astrometric measurements in small fields, and has been used to measure parallaxes and therefore distance for faint stars.’
- ‘Tycho had collected in one place the finest astrometric instruments of his day - four decades before Galileo introduced the astronomical telescope.’
- ‘After obtaining the images, she used astrometric software to determine the coordinates of the target asteroid's apparent position in each image.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.