Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1US An enclosed stadium with a domed roof.‘the Houston Astrodome’
- ‘They're exhausted; all waiting to be evacuated by bus to Houston's astrodome.’
- ‘The complex has two grass pitches, two AstroTurf™ pitches and an astrodome containing another indoor pitch which is said to be too small to satisfy the FA rules.’
2A domed window in an aircraft for astronomical observations.
- ‘The four men escaped the aircraft through the astrodome.’
- ‘There was no more fire from the enemy aircraft, identified from the astrodome by the navigator, as a Ju 88.’
- ‘An astrodome was located in the top of the fuselage forward of the aft partition of the crew quarters.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.