Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An instrument designed to indicate direction with respect to the stars.
- ‘One requires a fair amount of information to utilize an astrocompass properly, including the time, date, and longitudinal and latitudinal location, as well as an astronomical chart such as a nautical almanac.’
- ‘A form of astrocompass is the sun compass, which utilizes the shadow of a pin.’
- ‘The goal of this expedition was to navigate to the North Magnetic Pole by traditional means using a sextant and an astrocompass.’
- ‘The astrocompass functions by means of measured movement in three independent axes.’
- ‘The aircraft's magnetic compass probably appeared to be working well, and setting up the astrocompass would have been a nuisance.’
- ‘Each patrol is also given a first-aid kit, a global positioning system compass, an astrocompass and a shortwave radio.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.