Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of biology concerned with the study of life on earth and in space.
- ‘It is involved today in research in aeronautics, high-speed computing, and astrobiology.’
- ‘My work, in part, deals with astrobiology from an astronomer's viewpoint.’
- ‘Courses related to astrobiology are offered in the departments of geology, biology, physics, and electrical engineering.’
- ‘As a PhD student studying astrobiology in Australia, I was pleased to see you identify the Moon as one of God's better ideas.’
- ‘A key issue in astrobiology is to understand the processes responsible for the geological and geophysical evolution of terrestrial planets.’
- ‘This helps explain the importance of recent theoretical developments in the emerging field of astrobiology.’
- ‘A lot of the chemists and geologists and biologists working in astrobiology are fixated on the details, because the history of life and the Earth is really just a catalogue of historical accidents.’
- ‘Now, why do you suppose someone would steal astrobiology specimens?’
- ‘Our goal is to promote, conduct, and lead integrated multidisciplinary astrobiology research and to train a new generation of astrobiology researchers.’
- ‘While evidence for microbial life on Mars is mounting, far more work needs to be done before any conclusions can be made.’
- ‘For those involved with the fledgling science of astrobiology, this is a central issue.’
- ‘However, the search for life beyond Earth, which underpins the burgeoning field of astrobiology, is based on a belief that chance played only a subordinate role.’
- ‘The relationship between astrosociology and astrobiology is strong due to cultural values that favor determining if Earthlings represent the only species in the universe.’
- ‘So how did Davies become interested in physics and eventually astrobiology?’
- ‘In addition, reduced astrobiology funding will likely work against the President's stated goal of encouraging more young Americans to pursue science and technology careers, Shostak said.’
- ‘If this is confirmed, it will be bad news for those who've been expecting that confirmation of past life on Mars would provide a burst of energy for the field of astrobiology.’
- ‘The center researches aeronautics, astrobiology and supercomputing.’
- ‘The discovery has profound implications for astrobiology.’
- ‘Without many people realizing it, debate in astrobiology is being actively manipulated by deeply held theological beliefs.’
- ‘He is a well-known expert in the field of astrobiology and its cultural implications.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.