Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘For all its harmonic astringency, Ullmann's music is frequently beautiful.’
- ‘A warmly lyrical idiom gave place to a gritty astringency that must have been very disturbing to erstwhile admirers.’
- ‘The tarragon sauce lent an interesting and subtle astringency, which gave the tender pork a real lift.’
- ‘It is an important issue because even trained tasters can have trouble distinguishing between bitterness and astringency.’
- ‘There was no distinctive flavour apart from a slight astringency.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.