Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Surprisingly impressive or notable.‘the summit offers astounding views’
amazing, astonishing, staggering, shocking, surprising, breathtaking, striking, impressive, bewildering, stunning, stupefyingView synonyms
- ‘The most astounding thing about the dot-com boom was the obscene amount of money that was spent.’
- ‘This year we viewed the astounding structure of a hydroelectric dam built across the Danube.’
- ‘Some friends of mine already know about this and have likely already chortled at my astounding lack of basic knowledge.’
- ‘Children in one of the country's poorest neighbourhoods have chalked up an astounding improvement in exam scores.’
- ‘I find it astounding that my childhood was spent almost entirely in one suburban residence.’
- ‘What is even more astounding is that the company has launched eight new models since the beginning of 2000.’
- ‘There were school and college teams that displayed an astounding amount of knowledge on a wide range of subjects.’
- ‘Many professional pianists avoid it due to the astounding technical difficulties it poses.’
- ‘Despite his astounding virtuosity, he remains in many ways an enigma.’
- ‘This was astounding news since York is such a vibrant and thriving city.’
- ‘One student testifies that he got an astounding 35 credits in a day in one subject.’
- ‘Lalo has produced an astounding body of work and it has recently served as the basis for a new musical.’
- ‘He finds it astounding to think of the developments that have taken place in the arts in the county in the last decade.’
- ‘None of us knew what an astounding difference a year would make.’
- ‘Even more astounding is the fact most of this coaching is carried out by phone.’
- ‘Since then, the turnaround has been little short of astounding.’
- ‘We like to reserve this special prize for a person making truly astounding leaps in logic.’
- ‘It has a spectacular location on Coal Harbour and an astounding view.’
- ‘The number of people now involved in litigation of one kind or another is nothing short of astounding.’
- ‘To be truthful I find it astounding that Bali has retained its unique character.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.