One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting or involving the preferential mating of animals or marriage between people with similar characteristics.‘assortative mating’
- ‘Finally, we found no evidence of assortative preference for size.’
- ‘There may be incomplete admixture between components of the population because of assortative mating, niche specialization, or, particularly in the case of humans, cultural differences.’
- ‘The outcome of this is assortative mating with respect to mate quality.’
- ‘Women with brains were not always the hottest commodity on the marriage market, notes UCLA sociology professor Robert Mare, who has conducted extensive studies of educational assortative mating over time.’
- ‘In positive assortative mating, individuals of similar phenotype mate together more frequently than expected by chance.’
- ‘Despite the overall assortative pairing, the most striking pattern in this figure is that every hermit male was paired with a pure hermit female, whereas an equal number of pure hermit females pair with hybrid and Townsend's males.’
- ‘Condition-dependent preferences will emerge in both sexes as a result and presumably will combine to make mating even more strongly assortative.’
- ‘Fruit flies have served as a prime model system in research on the effect of mate choice and assortative mating on speciation.’
- ‘Through their combined effect, the cycle of success together with assortative mating or sexual selection would have greatly accelerated the action of natural selection and the rate of human evolution.’
- ‘Mating may thus be assortative as females mate selectively with males of the same vocal background, discouraging gene migration.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.