Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘Material clusters may be identified as matter endowed with associability, luminous bodies, clusters of speech materials, clusters of mind materials, or clusters of karmic material.’
- ‘Decreases in associability that occur as a stimulus is found to have either no consequence (‘latent inhibition’ 36) or a consistent consequence, are affected by manipulations of the hippocampus.’
- ‘These results indicate that learned predictiveness effects in human causal learning index an associability that is specific to a particular class of outcomes.’
- ‘A milieu deeply penetrated by interpersonal distrust forestalls the development of associability and mass membership in associations.’
- ‘The associability is determined by ignorance; when ignorance is removed by wisdom, the associability will be transformed into dissociability.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.