One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An immigrant who received financial assistance, usually in the form of a paid passage.‘the majority of assisted immigrants were British’
- ‘Even among assisted immigrants, the Scots were more likely than the English, and especially the Irish, to be literate, skilled, and also male.’
- ‘Between 1946 and 1970 over two million assisted immigrants arrived in Australia.’
- ‘They wanted to know if it was possible to introduce miners as assisted immigrants.’
- ‘The first ship-load of post-war assisted immigrants from Great Britain stepped ashore at Auckland.’
- ‘The Irish immigrants were more literate and skilled and probably healthier than those who remained in Ireland, but were under the general average for Australian assisted immigrants as a whole.’
- ‘Historically, the Czechs have been markedly active in community groups that have assisted immigrants and have promoted greater familiarity with Czech culture.’
- ‘They displayed an acute sensitivity to the ethnic needs of local parishioners, and cogently expressed prevailing discontent at a time when large numbers of assisted immigrants had swollen existing parish congregations in the 1870s.’
- ‘Compared with the home populations, the Irish in Australia were over-represented among both the convict and assisted immigrants of the nineteenth century, and this was a recurrent cause of anxiety in the rest of the colonial community.’
- ‘The good ship David Clark rocked up to the Port of Port Phillip and disgorged the first load of assisted immigrants into the colony.’
- ‘This had dire social consequences, especially for the thousands of assisted immigrants who had arrived in NSW in the midst of the depression.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.