One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A paid academic appointment made to a graduate student that involves part-time teaching or research.
- ‘That seemed almost obscene to someone who was used to graduate assistantships that were essentially break even propositions.’
- ‘This requirement could be met in a variety of ways including independent study, teaching assistantships, specific methods courses, and interdisciplinary approaches.’
- ‘The percentage of students with assistantships for teaching and research ranged from a high value of 100 percent to a low value of zero percent.’
- ‘Such experiences include (but are not limited to) teaching assistantships in botany or biology courses, faculty-supervised research, and off-campus internships.’
- ‘She was denied a teaching assistantship, although she was an experienced and excellent teacher.’
- ‘This is not art unexpected result as student support in assistantships often involve activities that include teaching and research duties.’
- ‘I was offered a teaching assistantship writing curriculum for Agricultural Mechanics and graduated with a Masters in Agricultural Education.’
- ‘Approximately 45 graduate assistantships will be discontinued.’
- ‘The position was funded by providing a graduate assistantship to an individual with clinical experience who is working toward a Ph.D. in counseling psychology.’
- ‘In his first semester he had amassed enough money to buy a car and to pay for his rent simultaneously - on his teaching assistantship.’
- ‘I had the advantage of a graduate assistantship throughout my studies that helped me obtain my university diplomas.’
- ‘They were both accepted by Cornell which offered them teaching assistantships.’
- ‘The college offers low tuition and the department has a generous endowment for student awards and assistantships.’
- ‘The responsibilities that come with a teaching or research assistantship, on the other hand, draw one into a community and help build a professional identity and sense of commitment.’
- ‘Graduate assistantships and graduate waivers were increased.’
- ‘The faculty helped me secure a graduate assistantship for financial assistance.’
- ‘Many folks who take a long time to graduate do so because they have not yet found a job and want to keep a teaching or research assistantship job.’
- ‘Graduate schools often offer fellowships or graduate teaching assistantships that undergraduate programs do not.’
- ‘By contract, assistantships employ graduate students for a certain number of hours per week.’
- ‘A number of teaching assistantships are awarded each year, designed to attract gifted students who have demonstrated artistic ability and teaching potential.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.