Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for referee's assistant
umpire, judge, referee's assistant, linesman, line judge, adjudicator, arbitrator, arbiter, mediatorView synonyms
- ‘Curtis did look suspiciously offside but there was no flag from the assistant referee despite Sutton Coldfield's extended protests.’
- ‘Fernandez was booked following advice from an assistant referee.’
- ‘He also reserved some criticism for assistant referees at the World Cup.’
- ‘The game was in danger of being abandoned until he took over the line in place of an injured assistant referee.’
- ‘Speed endurance and good recovery in between intense periods of exercise are vital for referees and assistant referees.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.