Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting securities having as collateral the return on a series of mortgages, credit agreements, or other forms of lending.
- ‘There is also the key issue of general confidence throughout the asset-backed security marketplace.’
- ‘Another strong week of sales pushed asset-backed security issuance to a new yearly record.’
- ‘For corporates, that means quality investment-grade debt, and maybe asset-backed securities.’
- ‘The asset-backed securities market maintained its remarkable growth through the first quarter of 2004.’
- ‘Outstanding asset-backed securities have increased 34% to $1.75 trillion.’
- ‘Another growth area is asset-backed securities.’
- ‘Issuance of asset-backed securities was a slow $3.4 billion, with performance said to be diverging notably between top-tier issuers and the faltering subprime sector.’
- ‘The capital markets have also played a key role, with the proliferation of mortgage and asset-backed securities.’
- ‘We are today forced to wait for the protracted boom in mortgage finance and asset-backed securities to run its course.’
- ‘Global investors are snapping up asset-backed securities - consumer loans repackaged into new bonds and sold to investors - just as quickly as banks can issue them.’
- ‘The company's fortunes, however, changed dramatically with the introduction and rapid growth of a market for high yielding auto asset-backed securities.’
- ‘In the context of asset-backed securities, this figure is about one-half of public and private U.S issuance.’
- ‘Meanwhile, investment bankers salivate at the mountain of asset-backed securities created.’
- ‘How much marketplace leverage is there in agencies, mortgage-backs and asset-backed securities?’
- ‘This then becomes a major issue if the market looks askance at the company's asset-backed securities.’
- ‘Sales of government assets and asset-backed securities would also improve the fiscal position.’
- ‘Credit card asset-backed issuance posted the largest increase, surging 61% to $65.3 billion.’
- ‘Today, we see that investors and speculators are increasingly willing to hold risky junk bonds, asset-backed securities, mortgage-backs, agency debt, and even corporate bonds.’
- ‘The nervous but booming asset-backed securities market saw $11 billion of new issuance, as a quarterly sales record looks increasingly likely.’
- ‘Many companies sell their trade receivables into the asset-backed commercial paper market.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.