One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An establishment for the assaying of ores and metals.
- ‘At Aclare itself a blacksmith store, carpenter shop, assay office, cottages, and a machinery house were all under construction and nearing completion.’
- ‘He says there are buildings in Queenstown such as the old assay office which could be converted to house an off-campus site for the university for any project.’
- ‘The Dublin assay office in Dublin Castle is the main certification centre for the country.’
- 1.1British An institution authorized to award hallmarks to articles made from precious metals. There are currently four in Britain, at London, Birmingham, Sheffield, and Edinburgh.
- ‘But either way, it is a great deal less trouble to forge these marks than those of an English assay office.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.