Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The action of threatening a person together with the action of making physical contact with them.‘officers investigated 531 cases of assault and battery’→ battery
- ‘She had stabbed a woman to death and had also been arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, assault and battery, and firearms possession.’
- ‘The indictment includes 10 counts of child rape and six counts of indecent assault and battery.’
- ‘He is seeking unspecified damages from the airlines for personal injury, negligence and assault and battery.’
- ‘According to this, he'd been arrested for assault and battery, vandalism, burglary and illegal racing.’
- ‘He was convicted last year of indecent assault and battery.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.