One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A long-legged predatory or bloodsucking bug which occurs chiefly in the tropics and feeds mainly on other arthropods. Some of those that bite humans can transmit microorganisms such as that causing Chagas' disease.
Family Reduviidae, suborder Heteroptera: numerous species
- ‘An assassin bug passes by and eats the clutch for breakfast.’
- ‘Predators, such as ladybugs and assassin bugs, devour their prey.’
- ‘Perhaps it is this effect that the assassin bug uses to gauge its distance from a victim?’
- ‘Eliminate small, red, juvenile leaf-footed bugs, but don't confuse these with assassin bugs, which help control aphids, tomato hornworms and other pests.’
- ‘They are called kissing bugs or assassin bugs in English, but in Latin America they have many regional names.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.