Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Directing one's hopes or ambitions towards becoming a specified type of person.‘an aspiring artist’
- ‘Despite minor problems, Greek is still a very addictive little show with some positive messages for aspiring college students.’
- ‘Many younger voters know little about the aspiring senator.’
- ‘She's probably an aspiring actress, or an aspiring something else.’
- ‘We have a great deal to offer to aspiring young people.’
- ‘A recorded dramatization was provided, with gaps in the dialogue which aspiring thespians were invited to fill with their own emotive interpretations.’
- ‘Access to prime agricultural lands in Hawaii has remained limited for the majority of aspiring new actors.’
- ‘Jackie Chan has a message for aspiring action stars: Don't bow to me.’
- ‘Events leading to marriage began with an initial meeting of the aspiring son-in-law with his perspective parents-in-law.’
- ‘The second aspiring revolutionary I met was a representative of all the stereotypes.’
- ‘Clive Owen plays Jack, an aspiring writer who supports himself by parting punters from their money in a London casino.’
- ‘Good news for aspiring writers: Advances for first-time authors have blown sky-high.’
- ‘Post-war Paris was a natural means of escape for the aspiring artist.’
- ‘For aspiring underwater photographers the road to success is littered with obstacles.’
- ‘Luckily, there were about a hundred young aspiring entrepreneurs listening to him.’
- ‘However, the international flavour of Alberti's classical style found favour with aspiring imperial clients far beyond Italy.’
- ‘Mary is an aspiring herbalist who lives in Central Florida.’
- ‘The Team Ireland Golf Trust has allocated a total of 240,000 to aspiring golfers who are pursuing their sporting careers on professional golf tours.’
- ‘Aspiring student designers wowed the audience with their creations at a spectacular fashion show in Selby Abbey.’
- ‘There was once a young aspiring writer in the 19th century, who had everything going against him.’
- ‘It's a virtual textbook on visual storytelling for aspiring artists.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.