One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A condition in which certain fungi infect the tissues, most commonly the lungs.
The fungi are blackish moulds of the genus "Aspergillus", subdivision "Deuteromycotina"
- ‘There is not sufficient evidence to generally recommend treatment of an Aspergillus-postive sputum culture in the absence of allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis.’
- ‘Diagnoses included small cell and non-small cell lung cancer and invasive aspergillosis.’
- ‘Pulmonary aspergillosis may present with fever, cough or sinusitis.’
- ‘Symptoms of invasive aspergillosis are nonspecific and include fever, cough, pleuritic chest pain, and hemoptysis.’
- ‘Rarer conditions include aspergillosis (a serious lung infection) and cryptococcal meningitis (infection causing swelling in the brain, which can be life threatening).’
- ‘Mortality among AIDS patients with cardiac aspergillosis is 100%, despite antifungal therapy.’
- ‘Endobronchial aspergillosis is uniquely encountered in the lung transplant population, with an observed frequency of about 5%.’
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis was first reported by Hinson et al in 1952.’
- ‘In an immune-compromised patient, invasive aspergillosis is a devastating disease that can present in this fashion and often eludes diagnosis.’
- ‘This species has been reported in a variety of animal and human infections including invasive and systemic disease including aspergillosis of the lungs and/or disseminated aspergillosis.’
- ‘Of these, one case with pulmonary aspergillosis and one case with atelectasis (due to acute hemorrhage) were confirmed.’
- ‘No subjects reported a history of clinically demonstrable tuberculosis or allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis as defined by the criteria of Rosenberg and colleagues.’
- ‘The malabsorption syndrome; secondary to chronic diarrhea, was explained as a result of aspergillosis of the stomach.’
- ‘During the course of our patient's treatment, multiple positive bacterial cultures and delayed growth of fungal organisms caused difficulty in making a timely diagnosis of aspergillosis.’
- ‘Two patients died later from disseminated aspergillosis on Day 10 and from splenic rupture on Day 57, respectively.’
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis occurs in cases of atopic asthma and may result in important lung disease.’
- ‘The disease includes pneumonia and aspergillosis.’
- ‘Invasive aspergillosis is confined to the lungs in the majority of cases, but sinusitis and central nervous system involvement also occur with some frequency.’
- ‘In due course, the research will help to develop drugs to treat aspergillosis and prevent the fungus from growing and spreading.’
- ‘Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis is most often a complication of asthma or cystic fibrosis.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Aspergillus, from aspergillum, + -osis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.