Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not attentive or alert:‘our industry is asleep at the switch’
lax, negligent, neglectful, remiss, careless, slapdash, slipshod, lackadaisical, lazy, inefficient, incompetent, inattentive, offhand, casual, disorderly, disorganizedView synonyms
- ‘We must have been asleep at the switch, and so we have to revamp our intelligence structure from the ground up.’
- ‘Nor were our political leaders the only ones asleep at the switch.’
- ‘As for extras, someone was asleep at the wheel on this disc.’
- ‘We've been asleep at the wheel for over forty years, folks.’
- ‘The software giant has been quiet in the news business for some time, but don't assume the industry leader is asleep at the wheel.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.