One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not attentive or alert.‘let's hope the regulators are not asleep at the wheel’‘someone must have been asleep at the switch to allow this’
lax, negligent, neglectful, remiss, careless, slapdash, slipshod, lackadaisical, lazy, inefficient, incompetent, inattentive, offhand, casual, disorderly, disorganizedView synonyms
- ‘The software giant has been quiet in the news business for some time, but don't assume the industry leader is asleep at the wheel.’
- ‘Nor were our political leaders the only ones asleep at the switch.’
- ‘As for extras, someone was asleep at the wheel on this disc.’
- ‘We must have been asleep at the switch, and so we have to revamp our intelligence structure from the ground up.’
- ‘We've been asleep at the wheel for over forty years, folks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.