One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small receptacle for tobacco ash and cigarette ends.
- ‘Another set-up consisted of a glass ashtray and a packet of cigarettes.’
- ‘Get rid all of everything that reminds you of smoking, including ashtrays, cigarettes and lighters.’
- ‘He stabbed his cigarette out in the ashtray and returned to his cabin.’
- ‘On that day, throw away all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays.’
- ‘The artwork, made up of empty bottles, cigarette boxes, full ashtrays and paint tins was put together by Damien Hirst.’
- ‘He does not look at her but places his cigarette in the ashtray.’
- ‘If you leave such a cigarette in an ashtray unattended, it will extinguish itself.’
- ‘The idea is that smokers use the ashtrays instead of dropping cigarette ends on the streets, saving the council thousands of pounds in clean-up bills.’
- ‘The collection of beer bottles, coffee cups and overflowing ashtrays was said to represent the chaos of an artist's studio.’
- ‘Malachi drank the rest of his cup of coffee and ground out the cigarette in the ashtray.’
- ‘The busy staff showed us to our table decorated with a spilt ashtray and cigarette burns.’
- ‘There were cigarette ashtrays on the sides of the two bins outside the Court House.’
- ‘The only thing moving was the dancing smoke from a dying cigarette in an ashtray on a table.’
- ‘Archer places his cigarette in an ashtray nearby and takes a drink before answering.’
- ‘Here was a guy who would use barstools, beer bottles, ashtrays, lit cigarettes or anything else he could get his hands on in a fight.’
- ‘Cigarette packs, ashtrays and lighters graced the entire length of the bar, except for the area in front of my partner and me.’
- ‘She turned to Jen, who had just put her cigarette out in the ashtray beside her.’
- ‘The only thing that was inside was a pack of cigarettes, an ashtray, and a lighter.’
- ‘Three years ago he created an impromptu piece in a gallery window - it included empty bottles, cigarette boxes and filthy ashtrays.’
- ‘I tapped ashes from my cigarette into an ashtray on the floor and decided to take her up on the offer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.