Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The only defect of it is an unreal scheme of the parterre done by ashlaring.’
- ‘The intended realization of the church in brick was changed to Portland-stone ashlaring.’
- ‘Many of the piers on the south side, namely, the eight westerly ones, including the half pier, retain the Norman ashlaring, upon which the new moldings have been wrought.’
- ‘The assembly of the whole structure (including the ashlaring and the assembly laths for the tile) will last, taking into account the size of the house, between 3 and 5 days.’
- ‘The church is constructed of ashlaring walls with a square west tower, rectangular nave and lower rectangular chancel and apse.’
- ‘The graffito ashlaring was last restored during the general reconstruction in 1992 together with the renovation of the two original vaulted halls on the ground-floor.’
- ‘The interior, which was restored in 1880 by Giuseppe Patricolo, displays ashlaring worked with the utmost care.’
- ‘The church of Santa María is made of ashlaring.’
- ‘The construction is stone resembling brick in shape, giving a less stern appearance than ashlaring would have done in such a massive building.’
- ‘The important role plays not only quality of manufacturing of ornamental elements, but also the correct engineering solution of fastening of ashlaring and architectural details on a facade of a building.’
2Upright boarding fixed from the joists to the rafters of an attic to cut off the acute angle between the roof and the floor.
- ‘The problem arises in converting existing loft spaces where the loadbearing ashlaring makes it less practical to board out the portion of floor/ceiling joists in the roof void areas, in the same manner as the new rooms.’
- ‘I am fairly happy with what to do with the floor but am not sure what to do about securing the ashlaring walls that sit on the I beam and support the roof purlin.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.