One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounNorthern English, Scottish
A large plate or dish.
bowl, plate, soup plate, platter, salverView synonyms
- ‘For their dinners the Gardeners kept a stock of 160 small plates, 13 ashets, and 23 large plates.’
- ‘The question arises in the same document concerning the ashets and milkpots mentioned.’
- ‘Remove the chicken and shallots to a large ashet and keep warm.’
- ‘If you are sneaky, you can transfer the food into your own ashets, and rough it up a bit to look as though you have cooked it yourself.’
- ‘The oval ashets and vegetable dishes would have been press moulded as well.’
- ‘As the ashet is held aloft, they proudly stride around the room.’
Mid 16th century: from French assiette.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.