One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first day of Lent in the Western Christian Church, marked by services of penitence.
- ‘After Ash Wednesday services, our foreheads were clean as soon as we got home.’
- ‘On the morning of Ash Wednesday, they will celebrate mass in the local parish church in Enniscrone.’
- ‘People there were asked, during Ash Wednesday services, to remember those less fortunate than they.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, Jesus' words send the message that believers can strive for things not of dust and ashes.’
- ‘On the days prior to Ash Wednesday, women and girls made small bags into which ashes or small stones or pebbles were placed.’
- ‘That quote forms part of the invitation for people to observe Lent, taken from the Ash Wednesday service.’
- ‘Traditionally, Ash Wednesday has been a time to make Lenten commitments.’
- ‘I was also adamantly opposed to seeing the movie on opening day, Ash Wednesday.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, the faithful seeks repentance for whatever sins he may have committed as he prepares himself for the season of Lent.’
- ‘The ashes of Ash Wednesday represent God's eternal claim on our lives.’
- ‘Large congregations attended the services on Ash Wednesday in St. Brigids Parish Church.’
- ‘The annual Carnival celebration is held in the town of Castries right before Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.’
- ‘Extra chairs had to be set up on Ash Wednesday, similar to Christmas and Easter.’
- ‘Next Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, a day I always remember fondly.’
- ‘On Ash Wednesday, he wants to ‘part the waters’ of our routine lives so that we might find God and be drawn closer to him by his grace.’
- ‘My wife and I attended a noon Ash Wednesday service of communion and imposition of ashes.’
- ‘The Ash Wednesday service last night was really beautiful and powerful.’
- ‘Having answered the call to repentance on Ash Wednesday, we begin the Lenten journey with this dramatic set of readings.’
- ‘Going to church on Ash Wednesday will not wash away our sins.’
- ‘Parishioners are reminded that Ash Wednesday is a day of fast and abstinence.’
From the custom of marking the foreheads of penitents with ashes on that day.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.