Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The reason for this difference is hypothetical and may be ascribable to two different phenomena.’
- ‘Legislators make speeches, attend committee meetings, cast votes and leave a paper trail of positions taken and poses struck, mostly without consequences clearly ascribable to them as individuals.’
- ‘To assess the statistical significance of basic differences between male and female subjects that were independent of any disturbances ascribable to shiftwork, we conducted an initial analysis.’
- ‘The problem with trouser suits is that despite their democratic appeal, they lack the universal qualities ascribable to men's tailoring.’
- ‘The similar level of satisfaction in our two study groups may be ascribable to this difference, as the family doctors may have compensated for any shortcomings related to the junior physicians' inexperience.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.