One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A vitamin found particularly in citrus fruits and green vegetables. It is essential in maintaining healthy connective tissue, and is also thought to act as an antioxidant. Severe deficiency causes scurvy.Also called vitamin C
- ‘Most animals can synthesize this vitamin in the liver, where glucose is converted to ascorbic acid.’
- ‘Such experiments have been described in the literature with various nutrients, including ascorbic acid.’
- ‘Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream.’
- ‘The antioxidant ascorbic acid plays an essential role in defending against oxidant attack in the airways.’
- ‘However, unlike in animals, the biosynthesis of ascorbic acid in plants is only beginning to be unraveled.’
1930s: from a- ‘without’ + medieval Latin scorbutus ‘scurvy’ + -ic.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.