One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sea squirt.
- ‘Aided by currents, the Haven has attracted all the filter-feeding creatures such as crinoids and ascidians, and there are plenty of holes to be occupied.’
- ‘Boulders are infested with black tree corals, mussels, cowrie shells, soft and hard corals and ascidians.’
- ‘Above, a seastar fish swims amongst a garden of ascidians and soft corals.’
- ‘Cloney has provided a clear description of the types of organs in ascidians.’
- ‘Some organisms, such as nematodes and ascidians, have a remarkably precise pattern of cell divisions in early development.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin plural Ascidia (genus name), from Greek askidion, diminutive of askos ‘wineskin’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.