Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘It allows the activation and communication of feelings which the mere ascertainment and manipulation of those circumstances and conditions would not evoke.’
- ‘Therefore, encouraging ascertainment of health information for three generations of relatives is warranted.’
- ‘As we noted in a previous report, the distribution of antisocial syndromes in our sample is also likely to reflect the ascertainment of the sample.’
- ‘We do not know how these subjects were selected or anything about the ascertainment of diagnosis or any other aspect of the design of the study.’
- ‘Regardless of the opinions, however, the application of ascertainment and discernment require readers to discuss the book critically.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.