Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A part of a letter that extends above the level of the top of an x (as in b and f).
- ‘There are loops on the ascenders and descenders, except for lower case ‘t’ letters and some ‘d' letters, which are straight.’
- ‘Perhaps we are all graphologists to a certain degree and can detect a person's character in their script: the thickness or thinness of the line, how circular or how angular the curves, how high the ascenders and how low the descenders.’
- ‘Within each triplet set, the items were matched for rhyme and whether the initial letter was an ascender, descender, or x-height.’
- ‘The group logo comprises a giraffe, the animal rendered as if cut out from paper, lettered in a rounded classical font with exaggerated ascenders on the letter ‘f’.’
- ‘Well, I like ITC Garmond because of the large x-height and shortened ascenders and descenders.’
- 1.1A letter having an ascender.
A device which can be clipped to a rope to act as a foothold or handhold, or to keep something in position.
- ‘With the help of a mechanical ascender, guides and novice climbers creep up ropes like inchworms into the forest canopy.’
- ‘Climbing is done by alternately moving two or three ascenders up the rope.’
- ‘The weakest point in this guy rope setup is the cam on the ascender.’
- ‘I undid my waist belt and slid off my pack, unhooked myself from the sled, unclipped my harness from the rope, unclipped the rope from the ascenders, unsnapped both feet from my skis, and walked back down the glacier.’
- ‘I flex my fingers and grab the two metal ascenders clamped to my climbing rope.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.