Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Become king or queen.
- ‘The very least he might propose is a referendum to gain the consent of the people before ascending the throne.’
- ‘Razia Sultana ruled India and was chosen to ascend the throne over her two brothers.’
- ‘Within the span of 20 years, fragmentary records indicate that no less than 18 kings and possibly one queen ascended the throne with nominal control over the country.’
- ‘Eventually, Gavyn overthrew his sister's rogue government, and ascended the throne together with his Lady Merria.’
- ‘In Japan, female members of the first family cannot ascend the throne.’
- ‘On Elizabeth's death in 1603, Mary's son James IV, already king of Scotland, ascended the throne of England.’
- ‘They foretell that the king will ascend the throne!’
- ‘In 540, King Chinhung ascended the throne when he was still young and so his mother ruled Shilla as regent.’
- ‘The son of the ruler's sister has ascended the throne for generations to ensure the purity of the line.’
- ‘While in the hospital on June 4, she became queen after her husband Gyanendra ascended the throne.’
- ‘He was tutored by Aristotle, and ascended the throne when less than 20 years old.’
- ‘He had ascended the throne with the blessing of Russian Emperor Alexander II, but his successor Alexander III felt personal contempt for the Bulgarian prince.’
- ‘The title originated in the Tang Dynasty when the emperor, after ascending the throne, would go to the top of Mount Tai to offer a sacrifice to God.’
- ‘Experts believe that his father's position helped him to ascend the throne, since there was no royal blood in his family.’
- ‘He was a petty thief jailed for 15 years, but released by King Abdullah in a traditional amnesty given when the king ascended the throne.’
- ‘At Stephen's death, Henry ascended the throne as King Henry II.’
- ‘Queen Chasidia herself had just recently ascended the throne, her term starting only a few years ago.’
- ‘On ascending the throne, she quickly captured hearts at home and abroad as she strove to bring the royal family closer to the people.’
- ‘Since no king ascended the throne after him, that calendar remained in use as the Yazdgerdi calendar.’
- ‘When the new king ascended the throne, his subjects were confident the fat times had arrived.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.