Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Infection of the intestine with ascarids (parasitic nematode worms).
- ‘In the United States, ascariasis is the third most common helminth infection (exceeded only by hookworm and whipworm infections).’
- ‘Primary common bile duct stones are more common in Asian populations because of the increased prevalence of flukes and parasitic infections, such as clonorchiasis, fascioliasis and ascariasis.’
- ‘Their results indicate that the cellular immune responses needed to protect against TB and HIV, are impaired by ascariasis and other helminthic infections.’
- ‘In children, intestinal spirochetosis has been associated with ascariasis, enterobiasis, and Helicobacter pylori gastritis.’
- ‘If your child has ascariasis, she should be evaluated for other intestinal parasites, such as pinworm.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.