One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun A fetid resinous gum obtained from the roots of a herbaceous plant, used in herbal medicine and Indian cooking.
- ‘Saute the leaves with a little ghee, roast the urad dal and chilli and grind with salt and asafoetida.’
- ‘Cooking them with spices such as turmeric, cumin, ginger, asafoetida or garlic will kindle the digestive fire and make them easily digestible.’
- ‘Dietary asafoetida, cumin and onion also significantly enhanced the activity of pancreatic amylase.’
- ‘Fry red chillies, urad dal and asafoetida till it turns red.’
- ‘The therapy for light abdominal pain is application of asafetida and not Baralgan.’
- ‘Add cloves and asafoetida, fry until the fragrance rises.’
- ‘She also mentions some herbs that can help - asafoetida, cumin seed, and winter savory all lower flatulence.’
- ‘Apparently, he doesn't like using garlic in his food… so he uses this spice called asafetida, which is really stinky and looked like Chinese medicine powder to me.’
- ‘Skullcap will probably not be very effective for the individual with weak digestion and internal coldness while asafoetida will probably not be effective for the individual with a toxic, stagnant liver.’
- ‘When hot, put in the asafetida (if using), then, a second later, the cumin seeds.’
- ‘Asafoetida water may be used in the place of asafoetida powder.’
- ‘Place the flour, turmeric, cumin, coriander, asafoetida and salt in a bowl.’
- ‘No plant now known from Libya or N. Africa produces a resin that resembles asafoetida.’
- ‘A variety of flavoured saunf (fennel seeds), fruity breath-fresheners and indigenous Indian spices like asafoetida and amchur come at Rs.40 for a 100 gm packet.’
- ‘Add sweet corn, ginger/green chilli paste, asafetida, sugar, lemon juice, oil and mix well.’
- ‘Avoid eating too much ginger, garlic, asafetida, hot red peppers or any types of hot peppers even in winter if you are sensitive to the sun.’
- ‘For about four handfuls of leaves, you would need about one to two spoonfuls of urad dal, a small dried red chilli, a little asafoetida and salt to taste.’
- ‘Ruchi also has instant food mixes, spice powders and asafoetida under its belt, apart from a small presence in dates.’
- ‘Lower the fire and add the chilli powder and asafoetida.’
- ‘She came in a week later reporting that the herbs were working, especially the asafoetida and ginger combination.’
2A Eurasian plant of the parsley family, from which asafoetida gum is obtained.
Ferula assa-foetida, family Umbelliferae
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin, from asa (from Persian azā ‘mastic’) + foetida (see fetid).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.