Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
With respect to; concerning.‘decisions as to which patients receive treatment’
concerning, respecting, with respect to, on the subject of, as regards, regarding, with reference to, re, in regard to, with regard to, apropos, in the matter of, in connection withView synonyms
- ‘Police are mystified as to how the thief managed to open the vehicle without using force.’
- ‘I have only one spare bed, so had to make a tricky decision as to who had to sleep on the floor.’
- ‘We had different views as to how a political interviewer should go about his job.’
- ‘I've been arguing with my husband as to what would be the best plant for this position.’
- ‘So now I'm back home and a bit confused as to whether my visit was effective or not.’
- ‘I am aware that there is no easy solution as to whether abortion is right or wrong.’
- ‘If in doubt ask for written confirmation as to what you can expect for your money.’
- ‘Postwatch will also listen to local concerns as to why the offices should not close.’
- ‘Now drivers have been left confused as to whether they can still park in the bay.’
- ‘They have been advising us as to how we should behave to avoid the situation getting worse.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.