Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In a straight line:‘Easingwold was 22 miles away as the crow flies’
- ‘To him the barren mountains and sagebrush flats of Nevada's interior must seem like another planet compared to the green splendor of Lake Tahoe, though they are only about 30 or 40 miles apart as the crow flies.’
- ‘By the time we reached Roman Road, only half a mile as the crow flies from our starting point, the bus was jam-packed full and sailing past the waiting queues.’
- ‘The headquarters of Hatteras Yachts is located in New Bern, NC, 90 miles inland, as the crow flies, from the cape of the same name that is notorious for its treacherous seas and numerous shipwrecks.’
- ‘At the end of the day, we intend moving only 20 miles away, as the crow flies.’
- ‘Somehow this is all tied in to the treacherous mountain trails, where a mile as the crow flies can take twenty miles of switchbacks.’
- ‘Although this is only some 20 km. from Nîmes as the crow flies, the aqueduct itself followed a course of around 50 km., in order to ensure a steady gradient for the water on its way to the city.’
- ‘But we're only about 45 miles, as the crow flies, away from New Orleans.’
- ‘It was shortly after 8pm on December 7, a cold, dry, almost still night, when two emergency calls came through to Lothian and Borders fire brigade headquarters at Lauriston Place, about a mile as the crow flies from the fire.’
- ‘The proposed site is eight-and-a-half kilometres from the airport as the crow flies, and it is first-class flat agricultural land with three rivers running through the site.’
- ‘The distance is less than seven miles as the crow flies, but is 13 miles by water, because of the twists and turns of the river.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.