One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘A second great myth is that property is literally as safe as houses while the stock market is the investment equivalent of Dodge City.’
- ‘Whilst the opposition parties and various independent bodies warned of the risk of increased electoral fraud, the government pressed on, claiming that the new postal votes were as safe as houses.’
- ‘James says the belief that our personal finances are as safe as houses has fuelled an impressive consumer boom.’
- ‘One man said we were as safe as houses but it unnerves you.’
- ‘As a result, most Japanese banks naturally thought that land was as safe as houses.’
- ‘In comparison Ricardo, the Portuguese goalkeeper, was as safe as houses, and can consider himself unfortunate not to have parried away the Larsson effort, which gave Celtic their winning goal.’
- ‘Sedbergh full back Richard Egan looked as safe as houses under a barrage of high kicks, and stand-off Darren Collins narrowly pulled his penalty attempt wide when the hosts were caught holding down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.