One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As close to being accurate as makes no difference.‘it may not be a perfect match, but it's as near as dammit’
virtually, effectively, in effect, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, approaching, not far from, nearing, verging on, bordering on, well nigh, nigh on, just about, as good as, essentially, in essence, in practical terms, for all practical purposes, to all intents and purposes, in all but nameView synonyms
- ‘To stay in the game they needed parity, or as near as dammit, on first innings and then to lay waste once more the Australian batting when they went in for a second time.’
- ‘On account of not working in the city on Friday, Wednesday night effectively became my Thursday, which was as near as dammit to the end of the week - so when an invitation for drinkies was put out, I graciously accepted.’
- ‘To Aachen in Germany - or as near as dammit - where yet another award for the Sunday Herald awaited collection, viz European Newspaper of the Year.’
- ‘The side will be as near as dammit to the starting 15 that retained the All-Ireland title last September.’
- ‘Im still working every hour God sends or as near as dammit, quite frankly I'm fed up of it.’
- ‘The bookies rated their chances at 250-1 and that made it as near as dammit a statistical impossibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.