One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Actually; as a matter of fact.‘we've got a room vacant, as it happens’
as expected, to be sure, in fact, in point of fact, as a matter of fact, in truth, truly, actually, really, in reality, as it happened, as it happens, certainly, surely, for sure, undeniably, veritably, nay, if truth be told, you could sayView synonyms
- ‘So this theory of who is the bad wolf was actually brought up on the other thread as it happens.’
- ‘Mink, as it happens, are also small, furry and kind of cute-looking.’
- ‘Keith Burgess-Jackson has just put something up on Aquinas, as it happens.’
- ‘This evening, I found myself contemplating The Real World Consultant, who is, as it happens, my brother.’
- ‘The Potter books actually work for me better as films, as it happens.’
- ‘I've also recently registered myself in Dorset South, the UK's most marginal seat, as it happens.’
- ‘I was, as it happens, offered herbal tea but no one lectured me when I plumped for the caffeine-loaded coffee option.’
- ‘The phrase ‘groupthink’ will probably set Alex Jones on edge, as it happens to be one of his favourites.’
- ‘And, as it happens, people taking over ruins and renovating them will still be exempt from paying council tax for a year.’
- ‘Now, as it happens, I once worked with one of the radio DJs whose name I've heard bandied about as a suspect over the weekend.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.