One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
As would be the case if.‘she behaved as if he wasn't there’
- ‘Most of the details are a blur now but he motioned with the gun, as though he wanted us all outside.’
- ‘The table was set out nicely and all seemed as though it would be a lovely lunch.’
- ‘She had known Sara only a day or two and yet she acted as if Blaze were her best friend.’
- ‘So she got out of her car and went about her errands as though nothing untoward was happening.’
- ‘They have told me to act as if their house is mine and they are all looking after me well.’
- ‘The men around her laughed and acted as though it was the cleverest thing they had seen.’
- ‘My father talked a lot about his own father before he died, as though he'd never got over it.’
- ‘It's almost as though some people only feel they have an identity when they are at work.’
- ‘Football is now a business, but players are expected to act as if it was still a sport.’
- ‘It was all he could do to act as though he had never read either of her letters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.