Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1For as great a distance as.‘the river stretched away as far as he could see’
- ‘The ridges of each mountain are related to one another that we can continue walking as far as we want.’
- ‘I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, which is no distance at all.’
- ‘The staff shortage had also been tackled by a major recruitment drive reaching as far as Australia.’
- ‘From my couch I looked out the window and watched them walk as far as I could see.’
- ‘It was dark and brooding and stretched away into the distance as far as Becki could see.’
- 1.1 For a great enough distance to reach.‘I decided to walk as far as the village’
- ‘Plans are also afoot to place a cycle path along the top of the new wall reaching as far as Shoebury East Beach.’
- ‘To do this I had to stand with the pole vertically by my side and reach up as far as I could with my right hand.’
- ‘The cross plate might have wings to reach as far as the beams, but query if this be necessary.’
- ‘Key and Alone had flown as far as they could, and had now reached a dead end.’
- ‘On the Eden salmon and a few sea trout have reached at least as far as Lazonby Estate.’
- 1.2 To the extent that.‘as far as I am concerned it is no big deal’
- ‘It is as far as the film is prepared to go but more than enough, I would imagine, for most viewers.’
- ‘Well, inequality, which as far as they are both concerned, are one and the same thing.’
- ‘Cowling is a difficult village as far as ideal places to house a community centre go.’
- ‘She was dead as far as any of the villagers were concerned, until she went to one house and saw her father.’
- ‘Rather, the Ombudsman now seeks to take each case as far as is necessary for a just resolution to be reached.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.